Monday, January 6, 2014

Wimpy Weekend

I came down with a sinus infection Friday evening and I've been in pretty bad shape ever since.  This is the first time I've had the energy to actually sit up at my computer since then, and I'm not sure I'm going to last very long.  Fortunately I've had a good collection of books to read (including Lieutenant Hornblower that I picked up at the library on my walk to the dentist Friday afternoon) and puzzles from Sunday's newspaper to do while lying and dozing in my comfy chair.  Saturday afternoon I dragged myself pathetically down to my bed and slept like the dead for hours in a way that I only do when I'm quite sick.

Yesterday afternoon, Robert and I drove about an hour southeast of Snow City to an area where up to seven snowy owls had been seen over the past week, but despite a couple of hours of staring at snow-covered, grass-stippled fields in the sun, we didn't see any owls.  (I did get a massive headache and a case of the grumps, though.)  Luckily, we were able to look for owls from the car, driving along the country roads, because it was about -2 F outside (which was quite chilly we found when we stopped for a bathroom break).  Today is worse:  it's -16 F right now.  I'm definitely staying in.  I don't think my sore throat could tolerate even a normal winter day right now, let alone cold bad enough that school has been canceled.

No comments: