Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday Cooking

Robert and I made 12 servings of beef and kidney bean chili and 12 servings of chicken and broccoli casserole.  (We'll freeze half of these for later.)  It's surprising how little time and effort is required to double these recipes.  The chicken and broccoli is especially easy overall because it requires no chopping of vegetables (it uses frozen broccoli and canned mushrooms).  I pretty much made that one by myself while Robert was playing golf, though he showed up just in time to help me with the white sauce.  Having two pans into which I'm trying to pour chicken broth and milk at the same time, while whisking the sauces to get rid of lumps and not burn anything, was a bit much.

Also, I can't help but point out that it was slightly warmer in my kitchen, working over a hot stove, than it was outside today.  During the heat of the day, it was about 81 degrees in the kitchen and about 79 degrees outside.  Tomorrow the temperature is going back up to about 88, which qualifies as quite warm by local standards but which would be laughed out of town for those of you experiencing temperatures over 100 degrees.

1 comment:

mom said...

Are we going to get to eat some of this when we get there? Sounds delicious!