Saturday, November 5, 2011

A Beloved Universe

Thursday I went to the city library web site to request a book my mom recommended, The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz, the first Sherlock Holmes novel to be endorsed by the Conan Doyle estate and apparently a most worthy successor -- a "no-shit Sherlock."

And as it happens, this week is Alice in Wonderland week at the library, timed to coincide with the staging of an Alice ballet in town next weekend.  So this afternoon, Robert and I walked over to hear a quite nice lecture on the theme of Alice's transformations (both within the text and across different takes of the story) by an English professor at the university (and to see a clip from a 1933 live action version of the story I'd never seen before and that, as the professor pointed out with amusement, showed us a surprisingly early example of people in photographs talking to us, a phenomenon that we of course associate with Harry Potter). I'm really glad that I didn't miss this.

Sherlock Holmes' London and Alice's Wonderland are two universes that I love to spend time in, and despite being huge fans of the original texts, I also enjoy seeing other spins on these worlds.  What fictional universes do you love?  Do you consider yourself relatively tolerant of different versions or do you take a more purist perspective on them?

1 comment:

mom said...

The lecture on Alice sounded really interesting. I would have enjoyed it, too, I'm sure. As we've discussed I also like Sherlock Holmes and am not such a purist that I can't enjoy Laurie King's series where Sherlock is married to Mary Russell.