Friday, September 9, 2011

What We Need Less of is Philosophy of Science

Today I walked on my treadmill then read 10 articles regarding philosophy of science issues as applicable to psychology.

That really felt like a lot of reading and it took approximately forever.  I'm not sure I'm going to be able to maintain this level in the coming weeks so I guess I will have to do what so many of my classmates at My Masters University did in our program - skim and/or just flat not read some papers, start getting some grades below an A.  (Fortunately I have reached the point where nobody ever again will care about my grades except to know that I am meeting the minimum GPA required to stay in good standing in my program.  I don't remember this standard off the top of my head, but it is clearly below a 4.0.  GPAs do not mean squat when going on the academic job market.)

One good thing is that I kept taking notes with ideas for the short paper I will need to write for this class by early October.  (And thankfully my writing is faster than my reading.  I seriously do not know how people who struggle with their writing do PhD programs in the humanities/soft social sciences.)

I am going to finish one more article (marketing) before bed and go to sleep with the pleasant feeling of being done with the readings for 2 of my 3 classes next week.

No comments: