Monday, October 19, 2009

Not Feeling the Love

I can't understand why everybody in the world has encouraged me to start using the Firefox browser. It is utterly crashtastic. It's like, oooh, thanks for offering to restart the program with the pages I already had open...since you crash several times per day.

I have never had this kind of problem with Microsoft Internet Explorer. I have had Explorer crash, of course, once in a blue moon, but not this frequent, annoying cycle of crashes that is particularly awful when I am looking through a journal database for articles to read/download for my research (i.e. I am in a groove seriously thinking/working and then interrupted due to an idiotic browser issue, which makes me just want to abandon the god-damn thing and read Doctor Zhivago instead).

So, what gives?

3 comments:

Tam said...

Interesting. Firefox crashes very rarely for me. I like the way it handles font sizes better than Internet Explorer, which is (oddly, perhaps) my main reason for choosing it.

Jen M. said...

I just love the way it installs updates every time you start. No, I don't want to wait for that, I'm on here for a reason.

rvman said...

IE freezes on me fairly regularly. I imagine the variation in dependability depends on the exact configuration differences between computers - bios, drivers, other software/attachments installed, etc.

Originally, I switched to F/F because it had tabbed windows first, but now IE has that also. I think it is also less frequently 'attacked' by malicious software, just due to lower market share.