Friday, November 14, 2008

Organic Food Paper - Check

My professor and I sent in the organic paper this morning to the conference organizers - yay! I now get to basically not think about it for another two months until we find out whether it has been accepted or not. Given its limitations, I think it turned out quite well. It is not any kind of ground-breaking research, but it seems interesting enough (even to me having been working on it all this time) and does fit a kind of niche for qualitative research on the topic.

One of my interviewees had mentioned that Jason's Deli is highlighting their use of organic products, and last week when Robert and I ate there, I took especial notice of the prominent signage regarding "natural" and "organic" products, as well as a new sign saying they don't use high fructose corn syrup (except in soft drinks). (I ate the blue corn chips with my turkey wrap; they must be healthy because they are organic, right? I also like how the color makes them both pretty and obviously different from regular tortilla chips in a way that can be suggestive of superiority along various axes.) Still unknown is how they managed to make the gingerbread muffin have more combined grams of fat, carb, and protein than is possible given the muffin's mass. I think they must have figured out a way to make them unhealthily delicious into another dimension. Probably links up to the dark matter problem in some fashion, although I will leave the details to some poor doctoral student looking for a dissertation topic in their interdisciplinary nutrition science/physics program.

3 comments:

Tam said...

Major congrats on getting that paper done.

Sally said...

Thanks, now I get to focus on finishing these grad school apps!

Tam said...

Don't worry. You can still have your mom call the departments if you don't get them done on time. :-)

(hi Sally's mom!)