Thursday, August 28, 2008

In the Public Eye

I had written a blog post with the final list of masters programs at which I plan to apply, with explanation of their perceived benefits and disadvantages, but then got hesitant. What if adcoms (or students they involve) look people up on the Internet? My use of my first name has never intended to be fully anonymous.

To test how paranoid this was, I did a google search on my most preferred psychology program and my first name, and a previous post of mine was #5. I did another search of the program name and the word "blog" and that same post was #15. Eek. If somebody did want to look me up this way, they easily could. (It's eerie that EQ would show up like that, but the ways of google are a mystery.)

So I need to consider how I want to proceed. I mean, the probability of this happening is small (I assume), but it would be pretty uncool for some program to read what I think of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is interesting how things are changing with blogs, social networking etc. In some cases, it's probably not bad -- there's some feeling of "getting to know" someone, even if just what they put out there on facebook or a blog (and even if semi-anonymous eh). But yeah, detailed analysis of the program (especially any cons) is probably best avoided. ;)

Tam said...

I think most of what you've written has been pretty standard or specifically positive. I guess I wouldn't worry about this too much, but I realize you're a bit more cautious.