Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Recommended: Bugs Bunny Collection

The disk (Looney Tunes Golden Collection, Volume 1) has many of the classic, timeless favorites:

- "The Rabbit of Seville" (funnier than the opera, and much shorter)
- "Bully for Bugs" ("quit steamin' up my tail")
- "Water Water Every Hare" (evil scientist, monster, crazy slo-mo scene)
- "Long-haired Hare" (the quivering glove)
- etc.

Plus a surprisingly amusing "My Bunny Lies over the Sea," in which Bugs somehow manages to play in quick succession, and with a slight variation of the same costume, an elderly Scotsman, an old woman, and a swami (I think).

An exchange from "Water Water Every Hare" that I loved:

Evil Scientist: "Now be a cooperative little bunny and let me have your brain."

Bugs Bunny: "Sorry, Doc, but I need what little I've got."

You just know I am going to be using the evil scientist's line on poor Leo. I mean, "Leopold!"

(It's crazy to think there was a time when a popular, mainstream cartoon would feature an [admittedly infamous] classical music conductor with the expectation that people would understand the joke. Robert and I had to google the guy.)

No comments: