Thursday, May 22, 2008

TV Shows Lasting One Season

OK, I will finally agree with Tam, based on the final five episodes, that the TV show Wonderfalls was, indeed, hilarious. The episode "Totem Mole," which takes place on the Satsuma reservation, is especially great - but maybe that's because I know from my dad's experience as an accountant for the Cherokee Nation that tribe member Bill Hooten, who starts the episode feeling un-special as just as accountant and not a spiritual leader, is indeed an important person for the group.

Also, I was amused that with the subtitles on, we were told explicitly that the totem was speaking specifically with a Liverpool accent. Subtitles rock.

In the final analysis (well, not really the final - I never let these kinds of issues go), I think I preferred Wonderfalls to Firefly. I felt that the larger universe the crew in Firefly operated in was never adequately limned, the characterization was somewhat poor, and that there was little in the way of either internal or external forces compelling the story. Wasn't it just a bunch of people (of varying levels of annoying-ness) flying around on a ship to no purpose? (I mean, other than being amusing sometimes.) Also, I detested River (though not passionately in a "love to hate" kind of way) and thought that the chemistry between the captain and the courtesan was like watching two inert gases interacting. I was crazy about the character Jayne, though.

Firefly / Wonderfalls connection: the actress playing the savant mechanic girl on Firefly played the bartender's wife Heidi on Wonderfalls.

No comments: