Thursday, May 15, 2008

DVD Viewing Notes

I have now seen Punch-Drunk Love and 50 First Dates, and against all rational expectation, Adam Sandler has a curious plausibility as a romantic lead. I thought he worked especially well with Drew Barrymore, so suppose I should give in and watch The Wedding Singer, too.

The TV show Wonderfalls has been mostly enjoyable, but I have a lot of pet peeves with it. (It is a lot like Dead Like Me in this respect - well, in a lot of respects actually. And it doesn't have the saving grace of featuring Mandy Patinkin.) For instance, shouldn't a girl with a philosophy degree from Brown University have a little bit more on the ball intellectually when faced with talking objects? Also, I don't understand why 80% of the lead actress's acting is done by overextending her lips when she talks; it looks idiotic. I can only guess that we are to assume that she was a legacy admit at Brown; the other members of her family seem somewhat bright. (The college drop-out in Dead Like Me seemed vastly smarter.)

I admit that I am looking forward to Joss Whedon's new show Dollhouse, which will star the actress who played Faith on Buffy. (Although I have to agree with the commenter who bemoaned her acting skills as less than wonderful.) Of course, I am already wondering how Nathan Fillion will be used in the show, since he was important to both Buffy (in a capacity to which I will not refer specifically so as to avoid spoilers for readers who are only now catching up with this show) and of course Firefly, as the captain.

4 comments:

Tam said...

I liked those two movies too, though I especially found that 50 First Dates exceeded my expectations. I tried not to like it and failed.

I remember when Mosch and I watched Wonderfalls on DVD. I think I recommended it to you when a note that you might find it somewhat insufferable. I couldn't figure out which side the character would fall on for you. I agree that it's similar to Dead Like Me; I think Mosch and I watched them consecutively (though we had seen the first few episodes of Wonderfalls on TV before it was cancelled), and also that the main character in Dead Like Me is...well, better. But Wonderfalls was hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised, too, that Adam Sandler can do romantic leads as well as he does. I really liked 50 First Dates. Spanglish is another one that was better than I thought it would be. Click could have been better if they had left out the juvenile humor. I won't say what specifically offended me, but I thought it was in really poor taste. If you see it I am sure you will know what I am referring to.

Anonymous said...

I first noticed Adam Sandler in "The Wedding Singer" and decided I liked him. But that turned out to be a fluke. Other than that and "50 First Dates," I'm not a fan.

Anonymous said...

I was totally surprised by Punch Drunk Love and Spanglish. I hate it when he does the inevitable sappy scene in his comedies. We saw a preview for his latest movie last night -- it's back to silly character comedy, but I did have to laugh at the promo reel anyway ("Smell it, now take it")...