Friday, September 14, 2007

Irreplaceable Me

I just got an email from my ex-colleague K that they (by which I assume she means the marketing director D, with D's boss's agreement) have decided not to hire a replacement for my position (consumer research manager), but are using the money to hire someone from another division to do other marketing related duties. If the funding works out, they may look to hire another research person (though not necessarily at my level) in 2009. This leaves K as the only researcher and she works only 20 hours per week. This is quite a dramatic shift from several years ago when we had 2 full time people.

I had joked about being irreplaceable, but I actually thought they should not have much difficulty finding someone. I was quite wrong about the quality of the applicants (who overall sucked), but still, I had not foreseen that they wouldn't hire anyone at all.

They are planning to outsource the analysis and reporting for the huge 5 year survey project that I spent a lot of time on. I am glad that they are not going to let the data rot.

No comments: