Thursday, February 1, 2018

Doorways

#NatureTwinning Part 25

Monitor Maybe--Tuesday, 1/16/18

I tend to wear this brown corduroy skirt with a brown cardigan or (in the last year or so) brown quilted vest on repeat, so I went with something a bit different and tried navy as a complementary neutral.  With the brighter cobalt blue sweater and the scarf with several shades of blue and a kind of olive-brown, I think it worked.

Outfit cost per wear (OCPW): $12.04


An image search suggests this is a Komodo dragon (aka Komodo monitor).  It's certainly quite large, and Komodo dragons are the largest living species of lizard, growing up to 10 feet long and weighing up to 150 pounds.  Here's something I didn't know about them:

"Their unusually large size has been attributed to island gigantism, since no other carnivorous animals fill the niche on the islands where they live.  However, recent research suggests the large size of Komodo dragons may be better understood as representative of a relict population of very large varanid lizards that once lived across Indonesia and Australia, most of which, along with other megafauna, died out after the Pleistocene (likely as a result of human activity)."

Humans, screwing everything else on the planet from Day 1.

Henry Doorly Zoo

Southern Red Bishop--Wednesday, 1/17/18

Black and white and red all over.  I do like the impact of a bright colored skirt worn with an ensemble otherwise composed of black and white.

OCPW: $21.44


I was a bit confused by this bird at first because I have always seen (male) red bishops--a weaver bird from Africa--photographed as black and, you know, red.  But apparently they are occasionally black and orange instead.  This one has a black and gold look going that clearly indicates that it is a fan of my high school football team.  Go, Sxxxxxxx!

Cincinnati Zoo

Decorative Planting--Thursday, 1/18/18

What a shockingly straightforward outfit: navy pants, navy cardigan, forest green blouse, gold necklace, navy shoes.  I had originally planned to wear a paisley scarf to jazz it up a bit, but decided at the last moment that (1) I was in the mood for something simpler and (2) I had worn that scarf pretty recently and (3) I like the gathered neckline of this blouse with a long necklace.  And hence an outfit almost anyone could wear happened.

OCPW: $28.14


My outfit was so sedate that I thought something ornamental and silly was in order.  I'm suddenly imagining this as a hat...or a substantial fascinator...or a hatinator.  Something to wear to a horticultural society event, perhaps?  A little much for my workplace, though, even when paired with a sober and calmly professional outfit.

Indianapolis Zoo

In other news...Seriously, just go read Every Heart a Doorway, the first book of the Wayward Children series.  It will take you about 2 hours (for me, that was one sitting) and is worth every minute of it.  I am outrageously disappointed that I didn't think of this wonderful and obvious premise first: What happens to all the Alices when they get back to their families in our cold reality after spending time in a fantasy land?  They go to a special boarding school, of course.  There is a sorta murder mystery in there too (I say sorta because the killer is pretty obvious, I think).  I am looking forward to reading additional books in this series.

No comments: