Friday, July 29, 2011

You Have No Free Time

A very short, useful description of the "free time myth" for my readers not currently in grad school.  Allow this to help guide your expectations for my availability outside the 9-month academic year.

Readers still in grad school - you know the score.

At My Masters University, the professors were very upfront about the fact that they spent most of the summer trying to catch up on all the writing they did not get done during the school year, when they had to manage classes, advising undergrad and grad students, data collection, meetings/committees/service work, etc.

2 comments:

Tam said...

It's a curse and sometimes a blessing. I really do appreciate that I never feel bored because I always have the stress of stuff I should be doing hanging over me. Um. Yeah. I am clearly sick in the head.

Sally said...

It's very hard for me to find that balance between being bored and being stressed. I wish I had a broader comfort zone.