Tuesday, December 8, 2009

We'll Burn the House Down!

I sort of freaked out tonight when I came out from the office where I've been studying into the living room and smelled something like burning wood. It took me a few minutes of looking around for the source of the fire before I remembered, Oh yes, we have wood-burning fireplaces in our living rooms. My neighbor must have a fire going. I must be smelling this from my own (empty) fireplace.

And the title is quoting Dodo from Disney's Alice, the scene in which he and the White Rabbit are trying to figure out how to get the large Alice (monster!) out of the WR's house.

On a related note (since Alice was sent into the house by the WR to get his gloves), I have found that a combination of wearing a flannel shirt over my pj's, pulling the blankets entirely over my head, and starting off the night wearing a pair of thin fleece gloves (which I later remove when I warm up) has made a huge difference in my overnight comfort level. I have also finally relented and turned the heater on, with the thermostat set at about 62 overnight. The last few days during my final exam study madness, I have been wearing a big, insanely warm fleece/felt jacket thing that was a Christmas gift it never got cold enough in Austin to use but that creates instant warmth.

Robert reported that Leo's fur has started growing back on the side where it was missing, but that the one back leg is still bare except for the foot, which is furry again, giving the appearance that he is wearing a fuzzy (bunny?) slipper or has gotten some weird poodle grooming by mistake. Recent Leo discovery: he is mad for dried pear, simply mad.

(Now that's the Cheshire Cat.)

Seriously? A 60% chance of snow on Saturday afternoon while I am proctoring that stupid exam? Great....

6 comments:

mom said...

You will be acclimated to cold weather by the time you get here, Sally. It's been very cold - this morning the temp is 18 with a high of 29.

Tam said...

Sounds downright balmy. It's been below 10 or so for days here. It was 2 this morning when I left my house.

:-\

rvman said...

I had a meeting with some folks from Amarillo. Apparently they've been in that 2degreeish min temperature region also.

It was freezing here, this morning. No, really, freezing - it was 32 degrees when I left for work. Frost on the windshield and everything.

Jen M. said...

It's been super cold here as well! http://fwix.com/share/1_57ab692a57

Okay, maybe not quite freezing or worse, but I had to break out my gloves, hat, and wool coat from our Philly days yesterday.

Ironically, our heater makes the bedroom upstairs so hot (you know, heat rises.. but the thermostat is downstairs where it's cool) that we wake up sweating in the morning when it kicks on.

Sally said...

Tam, believe me, I'd take 2 in Denver to 18 in Tulsa. A given temperature in CO never feels near as cold as it does in the midwest, in my opinion.

Today was the first day this week I didn't have frost on my windows - it was raining and got up to the 60s this afternoon! I took a nice walk on campus after my cognitive test and got warm wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt, no jacket.

I'm currently in my office, where the heat is cranked up and I'm wishing I were in short-sleeves. I really don't understand this heating thing.

Tam said...

Yeah, Denver weather is never as cold as it sounds. Still, it was pretty brutal. Unfortunately the only longjohns I own right now are silk ones, which are great if you're a cold-natured person living in, say, Texas, but inadequate for this kind of cold weather.

My wardrobe, bed coverings, etc., are totally different now from when I lived in Houston.