Sunday, January 31, 2016

Lazy Sunday

Why Women Wear Heels with Jeans--Sunday, 1/31/16

Focal item: Long bootcut jeans

These jeans are too long for me, but I bought them anyway with the intention of hemming them...and then never did it.  I still can, but for the purposes of the Work the Wardrobe Challenge, I decided I needed to just wear them already.  I have one pair of shoes with enough height to make these jeans work--my black wedges.  So I took my inspiration from this photo of a woman wearing platform wedges with jeans, a black top, and a gold tassel necklace (all pieces that I have).

From shethoughtshecould.com

Unlike her skinny jeans, my jeans are long bootcuts so my shoes don't show very much.  But I will say that seeing myself in this combination of long jeans and tall shoes, I do get why women wear heels with jeans--it makes your legs look really long...even more so with the bootcut jeans than the skinny jeans, I think.  I thought I would find the plain black shoes with the jeans boring, but I didn't--so maybe I will wear the two together again in the future.  It's easier than hemming the jeans!  And since I lucked out with new jeans during the two Christmas thrift store outings, I'm no longer desperate for jeans I can wear with normal (i.e., flat) shoes.


Long bootcut jeans (thrifted, Target), $2.50/wear+
Black striped layering T (thrifted, Talbots), $1.33/wear+
Brown leopard cardigan (Lands End), $11.06/wear+
Black wedges (thrifted), $0.29/wear
Long gold tassel necklace (Kohls), $1.54/wear

Outfit total: $16.72/wear

I seem to gravitate toward this leopard cardigan + gold tassel necklace combination but what can I say, there's just something about it I really like.


In other news...I've had a headache much of the day, so I've been catching up a bit with my Netflix DVDs, including Case Histories, a TV show based on the book by the same name.  I read the book and liked it a lot, but it was several years ago, so that's all I remember about it.  The entirety of my memory of the plot of the book was, So there's this cop...no he's a private detective, right?

The song stuck in my head today (despite the fact that I've not been listening to Hamilton at all today):  "The Room Where It Happens."  Aaron Burr really gets some of the best songs in the whole thing.  (Though in this song, Hamilton's impression of Burr saying "Talk less. Smile more." is a real highlight.)

I really don't want the weekend to be over.  I'd hoped that having some time to sleep extra and lounge about would make me feel better but I'm still dragging.

No comments: