Thursday, July 21, 2016

Barbie of Oz

"Barbie Meets Dorothy"--Thursday, 7/21/16

When I found a pink gingham button up shirt, it was a no-brainer how I'd wear it for its debut.  This Reverse Inspiration gets at the fundamentals of the matter--pairing it with a bright pink bottom half!  This one went back four years so I guess there is a lot of power here.

From xoxo-pinkandgreen.tumblr.com

In my case, the complementary component was my trusty bright pink pencil skirt.


*Pink gingham button up shirt (thrifted, Company Ellen Tracy), $4.49/wear
Bright pink pencil skirt (JCP), $1.29/wear
Bright pink flats (Payless), $0.72/wear
Pink drops necklace (Outfit Additions), $1.86/wear

Outfit total: $8.36/wear

I kept up the monochromatic theme with pink ballet flats and necklace, too.  Other than the overwhelming pinkness of it all, this is a fairly restrained outfit by my standards.  (Note: a co-worker did say to me, brightly, "That's a lot of pink!"  It sounded fairly approving.)


In other news...I brought out an outfit with a loose, lightweight cotton top, a skirt, and no scarf for a day with a forecast high of 97 F and sunny.  Walking across the parking lot after work was quite hot.  It's hard to believe this used to be a way of life.

Angie talks about "seasonally confused" outfits in this post--specifically, cold-weather looks for fall and winter featuring warm-weather shoes.  She is not a fan of this type of outfit, though she likes warm-weather looks featuring cool-weather shoes.   I have to agree.  Perhaps the most idiotic type of outfit I've ever seen was the Austin winter favorite--coat, hat, gloves, jeans, and flip flops.  I mean, GODS NO.  I do not have much/any interest in wearing either ankle boots or tall boots with bare legs but I do not cringe when I see people doing it.  But I admit that I'm biased against any kind of sandals so a fall/winter outfit with sandals is a double crime.  I also think that open toed booties just look dumb period--like a seasonally confused individual item.  Would you wear sandals or open toe footwear with an outfit that's a bit bundled up?

7 comments:

Jen M. said...

It's common to see weird combinations here since it might be warm during the day and then you add layers as it gets cool. I like to wear ankle boots with bare legged skirts too. I don't wear sandals to work but you could certainly find me wearing a hoodie with shorts and sandals on the weekend. If it's cold enough for a real jacket I'd want to wear socks and shoes.

Debbie said...

The first fashion confusion I ever noticed was disparate fanciness. I remember in high school, women would get less and less fancy as you look from their heads (fancy hairdo and lots of make up) to their shoes (something extremely casual).

I have felt confused about short-sleeved sweaters and jackets (are you hot or cold?), but I can see that they help make an outfit look more professional without making you sweat excessively.

I can also see open-toed shoes with a winter outfit if you are poor and don't have that many shoes or much of a winter.

Sally said...

Interesting...I'm not sure I've noticed the disparate fanciness thing in quite that manifestation. I don't remember where you were living in high school, but in TX/OK at least, I think of the 80s as a time of big, hair-sprayed dos and full makeup as an every day occurrence, not linked to fanciness. It's nice that that has changed.

Sally said...

Jen, I can see how as outfits become built up over the course of the evening, they might get a little strange. I think the coat with sandals thing starts to become goofy when there's a puffer involved ;)

Debbie said...

I was in Texas (Friendswood/League City, between Houston and Galveston).

Yes, heads became fancy every day!

Sally said...

Debbie, I actually can't remember a time I have seen a woman in that full-on makeup mode up here who wasn't a bride getting her wedding photos taken at some pretty outdoor location. And the trifecta of big (dyed blonde) hair, full make up, and (fake) tan never happens.

Debbie said...

Yea, I don't really notice that either. Of course I don't hang with the debutants or whatever.