Thursday, April 28, 2016

Outfit Mastery

"Watermelon Bubble Gum"--Thursday, 4/28/16

Let's just get this out of the way immediately.  This patterned pencil skirt (from Boden--they seriously have the most excellent prints) is gorgeous!  I think it looks like coral...or fish eggs...or something that doesn't sound like it should look good on a skirt, actually.

Bridgette makes a printed pencil skirt corporate-friendly by adding a plain button up shirt, classic heels, and simple jewelry.  I'm going to go Librarian Chic with mine.

From bridgetteraes.com

And that means pattern mixing, untucked button up shirt, sweater vest, and mary janes, of course.


Black and white button up shirt (thrifted, Old Navy), $0.80/wear
Bright pink sweater vest (thrifted, Fieldgear), $1.00/wear
Watermelon floral skirt (thrifted, Talbots), $1.25/wear
Black/silver pendant (JCP), $3.07/wear
Black tights
Black mary janes by Hush Puppies, $4.48/wear

Outfit total: $10.60/wear

I could pretty much wear a variant on this outfit every day.  It would get boring eventually, and there are a lot of other looks I like, but the pencil skirt/button up shirt/vest (+blazer when it's cold) combo would be a serious contender for Sally Work Uniform.  (By the way, it was 41 and raining hard when I left work today.  Good thing I had worn my super-long trench coat for trudging across the parking lot.  I could have used the blazer today but relied upon my butt-warming heating pad instead.)


In other news...Scarcity vs abundance mindsets, talking about flow without invoking the word "flow," the insidiousness of social comparison, and more in this article about "why so many smart people are unhappy"--it's an interview with a University of Texas marketing professor.  I wish the marketing professors in my PhD program had been familiar with these (to me, pretty basic and obvious) ideas.  Perhaps they would have made their grad students less miserable.

Plus a blog post on style uniforms.

No comments: