Thursday, May 22, 2014

Convergence

On the topic of "inequity is caused by favoritism toward ingroup members, not just discrimination against outgroup members" that Tam and I started discussing in the comments of my previous post on white privilege -- Robert just emailed me this link to a Slate blog post about this very idea, pointing to a recently published literature review in American Psychologist that is summarized at the University of Washington website for those of us who do not (any longer) have access to the academic literature.  (It's too bad, I'd like to read this one.)

(Note: It feels a bit funny to realize that in a slightly different version of my life, one in which I'd decided to go to a different one of the PhD programs that accepted me, I could be right now slaving away for one of the authors of that article...and possibly have all the interest in this topic sucked out of me thereby.  I'm much happier blogging about this stuff in my spare time than trying to produce publishable experimental work on the subject.  Or any subject.)

I agree with Tam that this is a particularly invisible form of white privilege, and I agree with the authors of this paper that favoritism is a very powerful force.  And it's a tricky thing -- it seems easier to stop being an asshole [to that group of people] than to stop being nice [to this group of people].  I mean, we're all taught the value of niceness, helpfulness, generosity, etc. -- unfortunately it's easier to apply those values toward people in our ingroup.  We are also (seemingly) pretty much wired to have ingroup preferences from extremely young ages (I particularly like the research on babies' preferences towards people with accents that match their ingroup; the accent preference in infants is apparently stronger and more robust than even racial preference) and we are explicitly taught to privilege and support (at least some of) our ingroups.

In my more cynical moments, I suspect that many college professors who do not treat their students with inequity have closed that gap through shitting off all of them who do not contribute immediately and directly to their own current work (restricting the ingroup to include basically no undergrads).  Can the rest of us work toward being equally nice to all groups of people?  To going out of our way to do something nice for somebody who isn't like us?  Is it possible to work against our unconscious biases in at least some cases by knowingly going against our gut? 

As you probably know by now, I take a pretty pessimistic view of the idea that people can compensate well for biases by knowing about their biases, and the literature is pretty consistent with this.  (For example, I especially like work on blind spot bias.)  But perhaps these outcomes are dependent on some particulars of the process -- for example, perhaps most people assume that knowledge is going to somehow automatically lead to corresponding action and thus reduce their vigilance much of the time, going on auto-pilot expecting that they will automatically correct for their biases, ultimately leading to no improvement (or even detriments) in outcomes. 

I think that this might be part of the value of actively working against the fantasies/pretense that we live in a color-blind, post-racial society and insisting that we deal head-on, explicitly, regularly with concepts of race, sex, etc. -- that perhaps by pushing ourselves (those of us in the majority/in privileged positions) to engage in controlled, conscious processing, questioning our reactions to people and situations with "Am I favoring this person because they are white / male / share my religion / support the same baseball team I do?", we have a better chance of treating people fairly.

I'd also just like to be clear that I think this line of psychological research is a fascinating and important supplement to, but not substitute for, the sociological research and theorizing around institutional racism and white privilege I blogged about earlier.  I think it's easy (and tempting) for a person in a privileged group to read the psychology stuff and think, "See, everybody inherently favors their own ingroups, so black people / women / etc. do the same thing for their groups.  So I'm no worse than anybody else!" and thus absolve themselves of any guilt that the idea of unfair treatment might bring up and decide that there's no need to pay any more attention to this issue.  I personally find this take on things to be both intellectually and morally lazy and think that even if it's hard and uncomfortable, we (those in privileged groups) can all do better than that.

Hah, now how's that for a bit of optimism bias about my ingroup from an unlikely source!  :)

3 comments:

jen said...

This reminds me how the idea of giving preference to minorities (vestiges of affirmative action) gives people this loophole of assuming that the only reason someone got XYZ is because of their minority status, even if the minority status had nothing to do with it. Of course, sometimes the minority status did have something (or everything) to do with it, and with that comes the risk of reinforcing the negative stereotype that such-and-such minority just isn't good at XYZ. It's a catch 22.

Tam said...

I think I read that Slate piece and that's why it was on my mind.

One of the things teachers and others in likely 'mentoring' roles can do is intentionally try to mentor people from disadvantaged groups. For example, if a school has some grants for undergrads to do research, it may help if professors specifically encourage specific people from underrepresented groups to apply. That isn't even giving an advantage, exactly, it's just giving a little nudge to counter stereotype threat.

Sally said...

Jen, yes, the preferential hiring issue is a tricky one and doesn't come as an unqualified boon for the recipient of that aid. But I have to think that overall it's better to have gotten the job and have to deal with the shit about being the "token minority" or "only getting the job because of being a minority" than to not get the job.

Tam, I agree -- teachers (including professors) are in a great position to counteract some of this bullshit. Sometimes this encouragement can have an effect as simple as providing an explicit welcome to people who might be afraid at some level that their "kind" is not truly wanted by the professor/the organization/etc.