Friday, May 1, 2009

Dance For a Lifetime

This morning, I enjoyed reading this article in The Economist about 90-year-old Merce Cunningham, renowned American dancer and choreographer, whose new piece "Nearly Ninety" opens today in Madrid.

More background on Cunningham here. I thought this was interesting: his first solo concert was performed with musician John Cage in 1944, and like Cage, he incorporated the element of chance (flipping coins, etc.) in creating his pieces.

Even though he's old and in a wheelchair, he's continuing to work (although the article suggests with a greater level of input from his collaborators than previously). To me, that's pretty inspirational.

It was also an appropriate thing to see today as my sister celebrates her last day at her tech job and takes on dance as a full-time pursuit.

Break a leg, Jen!

1 comment:

Jen M. said...

Thanks, Sal. Cunningham is amazing. I studied his modern technique in college and have definitely been inspired. :)